We are inspired by the difference we can make in the lives of people through the innovative medicines, vaccines and consumer health products we discover and produce.
Our products cover a broad range of areas, including heart and respiratory health, infectious diseases and women’s health. We focus our research on conditions that affect millions of Australians – diseases like osteoporosis, cardiovascular, diabetes and cancer – while building strengths in new areas like biologics.
It is hard to quantify how many hours of pain MSD has alleviated, how many lives it has saved. But here is what we do know. Because of MSD:
- Up to 125 million children who have died of measles are still alive today.
- More than 100 million people a year no longer have to worry that a mere fly bite could rob them of the ability to see.
- Health systems have saved billions of dollars that would have been spent treating elderly patients who suffered devastating osteoporotic fractures.
- The treatment of HIV/AIDS became possible – and now the disease has been transformed from a death sentence to a manageable chronic disease in most parts of the world.
- Type 2 diabetes – one of the fastest-growing chronic illnesses in the world – is claiming far fewer lives.
- The idea of a cancer vaccine isn’t science fiction – it’s reality, thanks to GARDASIL.